Tuesday, November 17, 2009

On Parenthood

Modern technology offers a wonderful gift to today's parents: DVR. Children require major alterations to your schedule, and they make frequent demands that must be met immediately. Yet DVR means you don't have to miss your favorite TV shows: you watch them on your own time, when the kids are in bed. Watching sports on television is easy too. When the kids require full attention, you just pause the game, and come back to it when you are able. I don't mean pausing for hours and watching later: I mean pausing for 1-5 minutes at a time to care for whatever needs or wants the kids have.

DVR means you can be a good parent while still devoting your full attention to a football game, or even a sitcom.

2 comments:

  1. Or turn off the TV and play with the kids?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was my point: I can play with the kids and not even concern myself with TV until they're in bed.

    Except for Viking games. I watch them when they're on and just pause as needed.

    ReplyDelete